Swoon Vivian was actually released a few months ago and I have finally gotten around to sew her up. I sewed Vivian with the intention that she will be the next sewalong! The SAL will be in May (next month). Dates have not been finalized. If you are interested in the Vivian SAL, keep an eye out in the Facebook Swoon Group. It will be announced soon!
There are two sizes included in the pattern: Handbag vs. Traveler
Handbag dimensions: 9″tall, 12″ wide, and 5″ deep
Traveler dimensions: 12.5″ tall, 17″ wide, and 7″ deep
The handbag size is perfect for everyday carrying. She fits a wallet, sunglasses, diapers, wipes, spiral notebook, and an iPad. The traveler size is great for a long road trip, diaper bag, over night trip or sleep over at the boyfriends house.
Vivian has a drop in lining, zipper closure, two exterior pockets, and interior zipper pocket. I sewed up the handbag size and made two adjustments to the strap/handle pieces. I cut the handle/strap length the width of the fabric. This made the handles a little bit longer, which I like because it fits on my shoulder with more ease. I also made my handles a finished 1″ wide like the traveler bag instead of the recommended 3/4″ for the handbag size. Again, this was purely personal preference.
- 2/3 yard 44” wide quilting weight exterior fabric (1 1/3 yards for Traveler)
- 1 yard 44” wide quilting weight lining fabric (1 2/3 yards for Traveler)
- 2 1/2 yards piping
- 1/2 yard foam interfacing (Soft & Stable, automotive headliner) (2/3 yard for Traveler)
- 2 yards fusible woven interfacing (Pellon Shapeflex SF101) (3 yards for Traveler)
- 1/4 yard fusible stiff stabilizer (Pellon Peltex 71F)
- 20” handbag (or #5) zipper (30” for Traveler)
- 7″ all purpose zipper (9″ for Traveler)
- Four 3/4” rectangle rings (1” for Traveler)
Time: 5 hours
Sewing difficulty: 3.5 out of 5
The main panels are sewn together at the bottom. Vivian is a VERY clever construction. She comes together very well.
I added purse feet. Those instructions will be in the SAL next month! I just adore purse feet and get an odd satisfaction when I hear the ‘clink’ of the feet when I set her down.
A bit about my bag. My favorite friend over at Diedelbug Handmade gave me this out of print Tula Pink Nightshade fabric. I don’t know how I got so lucky! I am utterly head over heels in love with this bag. I don’t think she will ever get swapped out.
Grab your Vivian Pattern!